Sample Essay Outlines
Sample Analytical Paper Topics
These are topics on which you can write a substantial analytical paper. They are designed to test your understanding of major themes and details from the play as a whole. Following the topics are outlines you can use as a starting point for writing an analytical paper.
In thinking of the Langston Hughes poem from which the title of this play was taken, the key concept of dreams deferred comes to mind. Choose three characters in the play and state what their dreams are, including symbolism related to their dreams.
I. Thesis Statement: Mrs. Younger, Walter Lee, and Beneatha have cherished dreams. These dreams reveal a great deal about the nature of the characters’ longings which unjust societal expectations cannot destroy.
II. Mrs. Lena Younger’s dreams
A.Maintaining her family with dignity
1. Preserving the memory of the elder Mr. Younger
2. Enjoying a stable and secure family life
B. Having her own garden to tend to
1. The garden as representing aspirations held dear
2. The persistence of that which is valuable in the long run sprouting forth into the world also symbolized by this central metaphor
III. Walter Lee’s dreams
A. Material success
1. Prosperity for himself and his family, to be able to provide for them well
2. Not to be one of the “tooken” in life
(The entire section is 1274 words.)
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of A Raisin in the Sun Critical Essays. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!