Suggested Essay Topics
1. The first title Jane Austen chose for this work was First Impressions. What are your first impressions of Mr. and Mrs. Bennet? Compare and contrast them. Illustrate this with dialogue that gives insight into their characters.
2. What examples of humor can be found in the first chapter?
1. How does Austen go against the grain of traditional romance stories of the period?
2. What is the biggest stumbling block in the future development of a romance between Jane and Bingley?
3. What is Lizzy’s first impression of Mr. Darcy?
4. Quote some samples of dialogue that give you insight into Darcy’s character.
1. Often we misjudge character when we first meet individuals. Give examples of the first impressions that Elizabeth and Darcy form that are incorrect.
2. Mary is the forgotten character in this novel. What references can you find that define her character? How does she differ from Elizabeth or Jane?
3. Austen has an opinion on the difference between pride
and vanity. How does it agree or disagree with yours? Cite examples.
1. Why is Darcy afraid of liking Elizabeth too much? What is his concept of what a wife...
(The entire section is 1038 words.)
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of Pride and Prejudice Critical Essays. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!