Suggested Essay Topics
1. Compare the actions of Achilleus to those of Agamemnon in this chapter. What do these actions tell you about each of the characters?
2. Examine the role of women in this chapter. How are the women treated? How do they effect the action? Is the role of the goddesses different from that of the mortals?
1. Discuss the various ways that the gods accomplish their purposes with men in this book. Are these methods always successful? What does this say about the ultimate power of the gods in this culture?
2. Discuss the warriors’ attitude toward the battle. How does it change throughout this book? Which characters sway their opinions, and what methods are used to convince them?
1. Discuss Paris’ role in the Trojan conflict. What kind of man is he? Why is Helen unhappy in his presence?
2. Describe Helen and her role. What does she represent, and why is it worth fighting a ten year war over?
Books Four and Five
1. Discuss what Pandaros had to gain by breaking the truce. What elements of the culture lead him to give in to Athene’s suggestion?
2. Compare and contrast Diomedes and Achilleus as heroes. Use specific instances from the text to support your claims.
1. Compare Hektor’s attitude and behavior to that of Paris,...
(The entire section is 1080 words.)
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of Iliad Critical Essays. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!