Suggested Essay Topics
1. Contrast the attitudes towards the death of the old King as expressed by Claudius and Hamlet.
2. Compare the advice given to Ophelia by Laertes and that given by Polonius.
1. Draw a character profile of Polonius from his interactions in this act with Reynaldo (Scene 1), Ophelia (Scene 1), Gertrude and Claudius (Scene 2), Hamlet (Scene 2), and the Players (Scene 2).
2. Compare/contrast the relationship which the King and Queen have with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, to the relationship which Hamlet has with Rosencrantz and Guilden¬stern, as defined in Scene 2.
1. Discuss the thematic connection between Hamlet’s scene with Ophelia where he speaks of honesty, his speech to the Players on acting, and his speech to Horatio on flattery.
2. Compare Claudius’ thoughts on his own guilt as he tries to pray to Gertrude’s recognition of her guilt when confronted by Hamlet.
3. Discuss the grouping of characters from scene to scene in Act III, beginning with a crowded stage in Scene 1 and ending with Gertrude alone in Scene 4. What does Shakespeare achieve with the rapidly changing cast on stage as the action in this act unfolds?
1. Trace the way Claudius tries to manipulate the following characters in this act in order to achieve his own ends:...
(The entire section is 323 words.)
Show us the love and view this for free! Use the facebook like button, or any other share button on this page, and get this content free!free!
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of Hamlet Critical Essays. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!