Suggested Essay Topics
Part I, Chapters 1-4
1. Discuss Gulliver’s progress from chained alien to important ally of the Lilliputians.
2. Define satire and describe how it is used in these chapters, using examples from the text.
3. Discuss the transitions in the tone of these chapters, from travel book to description of an alien society to satire on English politics.
4. Discuss the relationships between Gulliver and the Emperor of Lilliput, Skyresh Bolgolam, and Reldresal.
Part I, Chapters 5-6
1. Discuss the decline of Gulliver’s fortunes in Lilliput in Chapters Five and Six.
2. Define irony, and how it is used in Chapters Five and Six.
3. Discuss Swift’s facility of changing from one narrative style to another, and discuss how these changes fit into the plan of the book.
4. Discuss the changes in Gulliver’s relationship with the people of Blefuscu.
Part I, Chapters 7-8
1. Discuss the total collapse of Gulliver’s position in Lilliput and its causes.
2. Discuss Gulliver’s disillusionment with politics.
3. Discuss the literary techniques by which Swift describes in a relatively few pages Gulliver’s transition from condemned criminal in Lilliput to returned traveler in England.
4. Discuss elements of political satire, satire of the human condition, and satire of the traveler’s tale in these chapters.
(The entire section is 1018 words.)
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of Gulliver's Travels Critical Essays. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!