Sample Essay Outlines
- Topic #1
Pip's life is influenced by several characters in Dickens' Great Expectations. Some of these influences affected Pip in a positive way; others were negative. Write an essay analyzing the characters who played an important role in Pip's life both in a positive and negative way.
I. Thesis Statement: The role of Pip in Great Expectations is developed through the positive and negative influences of Joe, Abel Magwitch, and Miss Havisham.
II. Influences of Joe
A. Positive influence
1. Exhibits honesty
2. Gives Pip's early life stability
3. Gives Pip unconditional love
4. Possesses a forgiving nature
5. Exemplifies the goodness of hard work
B. Negative influence
1. Represents the lower class
2. Is a source of embarrassment to Pip
III. Influences of Abel Magwitch
A. Positive influences
1. Forces Pip to recognize what is really important in his life
2. Provides the means for Pip to become a gentleman
3. Loves him unconditionally
B. Negative influences
1. Tries to mold Pip into a caricature of the upper class
2. Represents the lower class and criminal element
3. Provides the money which will result in Pip's downfall
(The entire section is 886 words.)
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of Great Expectations Critical Essays. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!