Sample Essay Outlines
Discuss three instances in the collection wherein a dead or missing figure possesses greater vitality than do those of the present. Indicate the influence these dead have on the living who remember them.
I. Thesis Statement: Whether a deceased relative, former love, or prominent political figure, the figures of the dead in Dubliners influence the lives and behavior of the living to a profound degree. Of particular significance are the dead characters haunting the characters in “Eveline,” “Ivy Day,” and “The Dead.”
1. Keeps Eveline from moving away from home.
2. Continues to induce guilt that makes her subservient to her father.
B. Brother Ernest
1. Happy memories of childhood fool Eveline into thinking her current family life is bearable.
III. Ivy Day in the Committee Room
A. Charles Stewart Parnell
1. Reminds the political canvassers of their unfair treatment of him years earlier.
2. Unsettles their consciences regarding their current political practices.
3. Inspires in some a desire to be truer to the cause of Irish autonomy.
IV. The Dead
A. Gabriel’s Mother
1. In guaranteeing Gabriel a superior education, also made him overly conscious of his intellectual superiority, thereby stifling the emotional side of his character.
2. Always disregarded Gretta as being beneath her son because Gretta was a country girl.
B. Michael Furey
1. Causes Gretta anguish as she remembers that she was partly responsible for his death.
2. Reminds Gretta of the emotional void she currently has in relationship with Gabriel.
Discuss the inequities of class and gender in three stories and the consequences...
(The entire section is 749 words.)
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of Dubliners Critical Essays. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!