For Further Discussion
1. Philip Jenkins contends that the seriousness of domestic violence has been exaggerated because the definition of “abuse” has been trivialized to include such acts as “intimidation,” “using male privilege” and “raising one’s voice in anger.” In your opinion, should the definition of domestic violence include only physical conduct, or should verbal or psychological abuse be included as well? Explain your answer.
2. Philip W. Cook asserts that men who are abused by their female partners do not need shelters. Murray Straus, quoted by Christine Wicker, agrees. On what other points do Cook and Straus agree? On what points do they disagree?
3. Mike Royko argues that domestic violence is not a serious problem for gay males because it is much easier for a gay man to leave a relationship than it is for a woman to leave her husband. Based on your readings in this chapter, do you agree or disagree with his assertion? Support your answer.
1. Jerry P. Flanzer and Larry W. Bennett argue about whether or not alcohol abuse causes domestic violence. On what points do they differ? On what points do they agree? Which argument is stronger? Explain your answer.
2. Viviane Lerner contends that society has encouraged men to oppress and abuse women for thousands of years. Give some examples of how society once sanctioned violence against women. Although society’s views on...
(The entire section is 572 words.)
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!