Suggested Essay Topics
1. Describe the attitude of the Director toward his new students, and toward Henry Foster.
2. Compare the production of humans with the assembly-line process as it is used for products of the present time.
1. Why is it necessary, in A.F. 632, that words referring to family relationships have been made words of ridicule and pornography? How has this shaping of language been an aid to the conditioning process?
2. Hypnopaedia and/or hypnotic suggestion is used today to help people overcome problems (smoking, weight loss, self-esteem). Create a situation where someone who is open to suggestion receiving this type of treatment could be misdirected into deviant behavior.
1. Why does Mustapha Mond keep referring to the past pre-modern lives of families? Show how this is really a form of counter-conditioning and not just sensational.
2. Aldous Huxley uses the literary technique of moving across parallel scenes that change more quickly as the chapter progresses. Show how this technique allows examples of the pre-modern and modern world to be illustrated and how it also works as a device to move the novel from scientific explanation into plot movement.
3. Demonstrate how the intertwining of Ford and Freud blend the mechanical and psychological aspects of the New World.
(The entire section is 1668 words.)
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of Brave New World Critical Essays. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!