Suggested Essay Topics
1. Discuss the concepts of fortune and nature as they apply to Orlando and Oliver.
2. Compare and contrast the relationship of Oliver and Orlando with that of Rosalind and Celia.
3. Explore the ways that Shakespeare uses witty wordplay based on "sport" and "wrestling" analogies to reveal his characters' views on the subject of love.
4. Compare the impressions we get of court life and country life in the first act.
1. Discuss the ways in which Shakespeare reveals that life in the Forest of Arden, while in many ways an idealized existence, also has its hardships.
2. Explore the many images of the natural world in the second act.
3. Compare and contrast the many sides of Jaques' character revealed in the scenes in which he is referred to or appears.
4. Discuss the concept of loyalty as it applies to Orlando and Adam in the second act, and the ways in which it defines their characters.
1. Compare and contrast the attitudes toward love expressed by Orlando, Touchstone, Jaques, and Silvius in the third act.
2. Compare and contrast the attitudes of Corin and Touchstone toward country life and city life in Act III, Scene 2.
3. Explore the ways that Rosalind's Ganymede disguise affects her behavior in this act.
4. Discuss the ways in which the developments...
(The entire section is 382 words.)
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of As You Like It Critical Essays. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!