For Further Discussion
1. The Catholic Bishops of the United States maintain that abortion is immoral because human life begins at conception. Moreover, they believe that Christians are called to defend the sanctity of unborn human life. John M. Swomley argues that the Bible contains no references to the immorality of abortion and that the bishops are imposing their own theological views on the Scriptures. Whose argument do you agree with, and why?
2. Carolyn C. Gargaro contends that abortion is a form of killing because it results in the death of an individual with a complete and unique genetic code. Brian Elroy McKinley, on the other hand, maintains that abortion is not murder because an unborn embryo or fetus cannot live outside of the uterus and is not yet a person. At what point do you believe human life should be granted “personhood?” Why? Use evidence from the viewpoints to support your answer.
3. Gregg Cunningham and Joyce Arthur strongly disagree about defining abortion as a form of genocide. What evidence do Cunningham and Arthur use to support their arguments? In your opinion, whose argument is more credible? Explain.
1. Michael W. McConnell and Don Sloan strongly disagree about the need for restrictions on abortion rights. In each author’s viewpoint, try to find two arguments that you agree with. Why do you agree with them?
2. Glenn Woiceshyn maintains that late-term abortion is...
(The entire section is 657 words.)
Want to Read More?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus get complete access to 30,000+ study guides!