Dominican refugees are taken from a sailboat in the waters off the Florida Keys and boarded on a U.S. Coast Guard cutter before being interviewed by immigration officials. Many natives of the Dominican Republic left the island in reaction to the oppression of the government during and after Trujillo's reign.
The painted obelisk "A Song to Liberty," erected in Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, commemorates the courage of the Mirabal sisters, the protagonists of Alvarez's book. Three of the women were murdered for their resistance to the ruthless dictatorship of president Rafael Trujillo.
- Explain the organization of In the Time of the Butterflies in terms of narrative structure. What does Alvarez accomplish...
- Although Patria is not taken with Minerva and Mate, what heppens to her family in the book In the Time of the Butterflies?
- How does Minerva in In the Time of the Butterflies portray courage throughout the story?
- Why were the nuns partial to Sinita of In the Time of Butterflies?
- Explain the relationship between Minerva and Dede Mirabal in In the Time of the Butterflies.
Test Your Knowledge