1. Create a timeline for this story. Begin with the early twentieth century, before the story starts. Include the names and reigns of political leaders, combining factual information with the births, deaths, and other events in the fictional characters’ lives.
2. What different factors affected Mariam and Laila to make Laila more outspoken than Mariam and more willing to stand up to Rasheed? How did their parents differ? What beliefs were each of them raised with?
3. Mariam’s opinion of her father, Jalil, differed greatly from her mother’s opinion. Discuss what...
(The entire page is 310 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE