Ed Dockery, Bootyny, and Sop-de-Bottom: Three men who are playing a card game in the Everglades.
Janie and Tea Cake get into the Everglades before the bean season starts, quickly find work with a planter, and move into one of the houses built alongside Lake Okechobee. Tea Cake plants beans while Janie settles into their new house. After the beans are planted, Tea Cake and Janie decide to pass the time by hunting. When Janie confesses that she doesn’t know how to shoot, Tea Cake teaches her until she becomes a better shot than he...
(The entire page is 789 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE