The town becomes a little disturbed after they see Tea Cake and Janie together at the picnic. After their first appearance together in a place other than the store, it seems like Tea Cake and Janie can be seen together everywhere. Rumors start to fly around town, and all of the townspeople believe that Tea Cake is trying to swindle Janie out of her money. These rumors reach Sam Watson, who discusses these rumors with his wife, Pheoby. Pheoby dismisses them as jealousy, but is concerned about Janie and what she is doing. She makes up her mind to see Janie to find out...
(The entire page is 654 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE