Ian McDonald’s The Dervish House is a science fiction novel set in near-future Istanbul. Nanotechnology is about to change the world as completely for this generation as information technology did for the previous one. Already, people regularly take nano to improve their focus. The novel follows six protagonists, all of whom live in the “Dervish House” in Adem Dede Square, which is in Eskiköy. The action of the novel begins with the suicide bombing of a public tram.
Necdet Hasgüler witnesses the bombing and soon after begins to see religious visions including...
(The entire page is 1741 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE