Electric lights provide the only illumination in the city of Ember, but the generators are in disrepair. Two hundred years earlier, the Chief Builders wrote Instructions so the citizens would know what to do when it came time to leave the city. The Instructions were placed in a box to be held by the mayor, but the box was lost over the years.
Children in Ember are assigned jobs in the community at age twelve. Lina, who is graduating this year, wants to be a messenger, and her classmate Doon wants to be an electrician’s helper. Doon knows that the...
(The entire page is 3247 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE