The 1996 Welfare Reform Act contains many provisions aimed at combating teenage pregnancy, including the reduction of welfare benefits for teens who are not in school and not living with a suitable guardian and increased enforcement of statutory rape laws. One of the most controversial provisions provides $50 million in federal funds for abstinenceonly sex education in schools.
Supporters of abstinence-only sex education maintain that traditional sex education programs, which provide information about contraception and protection from disease, send students mixed messages about...
(The entire page is 318 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE