I'm a junior university student. I study English literature, in order for me to become an English teacher. However I really wanna improve my English and specially my communication skills and speaking!
9 Answers | Add Yours
All of the answers above are very good and will help you.
- One way to improve is to find all of the opportunities to speak that you can. Volunteer to get up in front of the class and speak. Look for opportunities to practice your language skills.
- Another way is to tape record your speaking and find what you need to improve. By listening to your own speech patterns, you will be able to correct grammatical, mechanical, or oral mistakes.
- Practice, practice, practice...however, only if you are saying the right things. Practicing the wrong way will not help.
- Tongue twisters are good practice for moving the speech mechanisms and improving your fluidity and flow. You can find many tongue twisters on-line.
- Choose some famous speeches or poems and memorize them and say them over and over. For example: the Gettysburg Address; Robert Frost's poetry; and parts of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. This practice will help to get you into the pattern of choosing the right words.
- Again practicing something that is correct will help you to choose the right words on your own.
I admire you for wanting to improve your speech. That is half of the battle.
There are many things that you can do to improve your English. Let me suggest three of them.
First, you should be an avid reader and try to read broadly. As you probably know English literature is broad in every sense of the world. For example, there are the tragedies of Shakespeare and the political theory of modern authors and even the modern playwrights such as Arthur Miller.
Second, since you want to be a teacher, you should also take some courses on education as it focuses on teaching English. Your university should offer courses.
Finally, you should seek an internship at a school. Many schools offer programs such as this. In this way, you can be a student teacher.
Thank you all very much for your lovely comments you've posted, and I'll work on following each and every advice you've all written.
practice more. It always helps practising more and more. Read lots of books, watch english movies and try writing something of your own.
Thank you so much :)
Thank you very much :)
Reading is definitely a good idea, but I also believe listening to the news (either on TV or on the radio) would help a lot because newscasters are supposed to be eloquent and have good English vocabulary. Both reading ang listening to the news will help you obtain a more varied vocabulary, and listening to the news will also help you learn what is a more formal way of the English language (you need to know that because you hope to become an English teacher).
Um read, read and read? I love reading, and it shows! I usually top in English Language. Also, it does help if you practice. Loads of past papers on the net. Every weekend, I take one and try to finish it in the alloted time so I practice writing fast. And you could save the marking schemes and check your points with that too.
We’ve answered 317,379 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question