Book the Third: The Track of a Storm
Chapter 4: Calm in Storm
Chapter 5: The Wood-Sawyer
Dr. Manette returns four days later; he assures Lucie that Charles was not killed during the violent attack against the prisoners. He does not tell Lucie that 1,100 other prisoners were not so lucky. Dr. Manette uses his status as “a notable sufferer under the overthrown system” to enter a plea before “the lawless court” to free Charles Darnay. While the court refuses to free...
(The entire page is 478 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE