Book the Second: The Golden Thread - Chapter 15: Knitting
The scene is the Defarges’ wine-shop, where there has been much activity of late. Ernest Defarge brings the mender of roads to the wineshop and introduces him as “Jacques” to the other “Jacques.” The mender of roads tells what he knows about the tall man in the nightcap: how he first saw him hanging on to the Marquis’ carriage, how he next saw this man, with his arms bound to his sides, being taken somewhere by soldiers. The mender of roads says that he does...
(The entire page is 523 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE