Book the First: A Mouse Is Born
Despereaux Tilling, a tiny mouse with enormous ears, is born in a castle to his father, Lester, and his mother, Antoinette. Because Despereaux is born with his eyes open, everyone assumes that there must be something terribly wrong with him. As Despereaux grows up, he remains unlike other mice: he and his sister, Merlot, find a book to eat, but Despereaux instead begins reading the words in the book, and while reading, he hears music playing and is mesmerized. He follows the sound into Princess Pea's...
(The entire page is 3185 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE