Ning Yu (essay date fall 1996)
SOURCE: Yu, Ning. “Fanny Fern and Sui Sin Far: The Beginning of an Asian American Voice.” Women and Language 19, no. 2 (fall 1996): 44-7.
[In the following essay, Yu discusses the significance of Far's lack of a literary predecessor and role model as a Chinese-American fiction writer, and contrasts Far's short stories with the fiction of Fanny Fern.]
The lack of a role model, as Alice Walker points out, “is an occupational hazard for the artist, simply because models in art, in behavior, in growth of spirit...
(The entire page is 3227 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE