James Doyle (essay date spring 1994)
SOURCE: Doyle, James. “Sui Sin Far and Onoto Watanna: Two Early Chinese-Canadian Authors.” Canadian Literature, no. 140 (spring 1994): 50-8.
[In the following essay, Doyle discusses the influence of a Canadian background on the fiction of Far and her sister Winnifred Eaton, asserting that, while Winnifred wrote predictable formulas of sentimental fiction, Far's fictions explore important issues of ethnic and gender conflict.]
Edith Eaton (1865-1914) and Winnifred Eaton Reeve (1875-1954), the daughters of a...
(The entire page is 3693 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE