Annette White-Parks (essay date spring 1995)
SOURCE: White-Parks, Annette. “A Reversal of American Concepts of ‘Other-ness’ in the Fiction of Sui Sin Far.” MELUS 20, no. 1 (spring 1995): 17-34.
[In the following essay, White-Parks argues that Far's fiction succeeds in representing Euro-Americans as the “Other” from the perspective of her Chinese-American characters, in contrast to dominant representations of Asian-Americans as the “Other.”]
I came to the concepts explored in this essay through questions formulated while reading...
(The entire page is 8225 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE