Research marriage law in the 1890s and compare this to contemporary marriage laws. How has the institution of marriage changed in the last one-hundred years?
Discuss Mrs. Mallard as a sympathetic character or as a cruel and selfish character. How might your own gender, age, class or ethnicity influence your response?
Do you think Chopin's critique of the institution of marriage, as expressed by Louise, is applicable today?
Research the suffrage movement of the late nineteenth century. How do Louise's reflections of her situation in society reflect the concerns of...
(The entire page is 106 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE