- Explicating Poetry: World Poets (Critical Survey of Poetry: World Poets)
- English and American Poetry in the Twentieth Century (Critical Survey of Poetry: Topical Essays)
- By the Waters of Babylon (Masterplots II: Short Story Series, Revised Edition)
- The Devil and Daniel Webster (Masterplots II: Short Story Series, Revised Edition)
- John Brown's Body (Masterplots, Fourth Edition)
- The Science-Fiction Story (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
- Theory of Short Fiction (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
- The Fable Tradition (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
- John Brown's Body (Cyclopedia of Literary Places)
- The Poetry of Benét (Masterplots, Definitive Revised Edition)
At a glance:
- Author: Stephen Vincent Benét
Other Literary Forms
Stephen Vincent Benét’s John Brown’s Body (1928), a long epic poem, created a sensation when it was published and remains, despite his many volumes of poems, including Western Star (1943), his best-known and most popular work. He also wrote Hollywood scripts, librettos, and an opera, and he composed radio addresses and scripts, used for patriotic propaganda during World War II. Benét also published five novels.
(The entire page is 4020 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE