Article abstract: At issue: European dominance in the American hemisphere. Result: Spanish victory and decline of Central and South American Indian civilizations.
Spanish conquerors of the New World employed principles of organization perfected during the 770-year Reconquest of Spain by the Moors. Conquistadors organized themselves as compañas (companies), whose members shared the hardships and the profits of their military expeditions. Each compaña was headed by a captain who had royal authorization for conquest, making...
(The entire page is 1073 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE