Hilde reads the next chapter, in which Knox explains to Sophie the ramifications of Darwin’s theory of evolution.
Darwin was born in England in 1809. After graduating from Cambridge with a degree in theology, he sailed on a five-year voyage on the HMS Beagle. This trip went around the world, with Darwin collecting wildlife specimens. Examining the variations in each species, Darwin developed his theory of evolution of all species from a single source, though he did not publish his work, The Origin of Species, until many years later. Darwin proposed that over...
(The entire page is 252 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE