Hilde discovers that her mother had found her crucifix down by the dock a few weeks before and mentioned it to Hilde’s father. However, when she goes to return it to Hilde, she discovers that it is missing.
Hilde continues reading her father’s book, in which Knox now informs Sophie of the Enlightenment. Centered in France, the Enlightenment focused on seven ideas. The first was its opposition to authority. The Enlightenment ideals led to many revolutions, such as the French Revolution of 1789. The acceptance of...
(The entire page is 269 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE