Sophie discovers another postcard to Hilde from her father, but she notices that it is postmarked June 15. She remembers that all the other postcards carried the same date, even though it was a month away.
The next lesson from Alberto Knox is on Hellenism—Greek influence that covered religion and science as well as philosophy. In religion, the focus was now on salvation from death. Many religions and cults, including Christianity, were born in this climate. Science advanced tremendously, with Alexandria in Egypt being the center of study.
During this time, the Cynics...
(The entire page is 249 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE