- The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway: The Finca Vigia Edition (1987) collects all of Hemingway’s short stories. As a body, they are truly remarkable, but the early stories—‘‘Big Two-Hearted River,’’ ‘‘Ten Indians,’’ ‘‘Cat in the Rain,’’ ‘‘A Clean, Well-Lighted Place,’’ and many others—are haunting for the way that they embody Hemingway’s ‘‘iceberg’’ principle of writing, in which a writer should leave out seven-eighths of the information in the story.
- Hemingway’s most famous novel is
(The entire page is 502 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE