- A country divided
- The Compromise of 1850
- Fact Focus
- The Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854
- The Supreme setback
- The abolitionists respond
- The first shots
- The disunited states
- The war begins
- Ex-slave refugees
- A turning point
- Toward freedom
- Black sailors and soldiers
- Slaves in the Confederacy
- The reunited states
- A step...
(The entire page is 7997 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE