- Maya Angelou (Critical Survey of Poetry: American Poets)
- Maya Angelou (Cyclopedia of World Authors, Fourth Revised Edition)
- Maya Angelou (Dictionary of World Biography: The 20th Century)
- Maya Angelou (Identities & Issues in Literature)
- Maya Angelou (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
At a glance:
- Author: Maya Angelou
- First Published: 1976
- Time of Work: 19281956
- Setting: Stamps, Arkansas; New York City; San Francisco; Montreal; Paris; Venice, Italy; Athens; Tel Aviv; Morocco; and Zagreb and Belgrade, Yugoslavia
- Genres: Nonfiction, Autobiography
- Subjects: African Americans, Social action, Family or family life, New York, North America or North Americans, Northeast, U.S., United States or Americans, Acting or actors, Music or musicians, New York City, Autobiography, Paris, Dancing or dancers, San Francisco, Nightclubs, Entertaining or entertainers
- Locales: Africa, France, Europe, United States, New York, Asia, Paris, France, Canada, Montreal, Canada, Venice, Italy, Italy, Israel, Greece, North America, Yugoslavia, Tel Aviv, Israel, Athens, Greece, Morocco, Belgrade, Yugoslavia, Zagreb, Yugoslavia, San Francisco, Stamps
Form and Content
Maya Angelou’s Singin’ and Swingin’ and Gettin’ Merry Like Christmas is a twenty-nine-chapter autobiography that sketches the author’s early traumatic youth growing up in Stamps, Arkansas, where she was raped at the age of seven and then stopped talking for several years. Because detailed information about her childhood and young adulthood is covered in her earlier autobiographies, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (1970) and Gather Together in My Name (1974), the focus of Singin’ and Swingin’ and Gettin’ Merry Like...
(The entire page is 1444 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE