Marilyn Hacker (review date 3 December 1982)
SOURCE: A review of Some One Sweet Angel Chile, in Commonweal, Vol. CIX, No. 21, December 3, 1982, p. 668.
[Hacker is an American poet and critic. In the following, she offers praise for Some One Sweet Angel Chile.]
Some One Sweet Angel Chile, by Sherley Anne Williams speaks in tongues and sings in many voices. It begins with an elegant and revelatory series of epistolary poems, "Letters From a New England Negro," written in the persona of an educated young black woman gone south, in...
(The entire page is 255 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE