Henderson, Mae G. "(W)riting The Work and Working the Rites." Black American Literature Forum 23, No. 4 (Winter 1989): 631-60.
Discusses Williams's story "Meditations on History," noting its focus on discourse and relationship to William Styron's The Confessions of Nat Turner. "Meditations of History" was later expanded into Dessa Rose.
Inscoe, John C. "Slave Rebellion in the First Person: The Literary Confessions of Nat Turner and Dessa Rose." The Virginia Magazine of...
(The entire page is 221 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE