Hester in Disgrace
1. Describe the narrator of the story. How does the narrator differ from a traditional first- or third-person narrator?
2. Discuss the beadle as the personification of Puritan thinking.
Hester in the Community
1. Discuss the effect of the punishment upon Hester’s personality.
2. Explore the relationship of the Governor’s mansion to the “old world” and to the Puritans.
3. Examine some of the many symbols surrounding Hester Prynne, including...
(The entire page is 360 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE