In Say Goodnight, Gracie, Deaver explores the complex emotions surrounding the death of a close friend. Morgan Hackett and Jimmy Woolf, born within a week of each other to women who were themselves close friends in high school, have been best friends almost since birth. They spend almost all of their free time together, and are supportive of each other's efforts to move into professional careers in the arts. Their intense though platonic relationship has left little room in their lives for other friends; hence, when Jimmy is killed in an accident caused by a drunk driver,...
(The entire page is 183 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE