At a glance:
- Author: Deirdre Bair
- First Published: 1978
- Type of Work: Biography
- Time of Work: 1906 to the present
- Setting: Principally Dublin and Paris
- Genres: Nonfiction, Biography
- Subjects: Twentieth century, Authors or writers, Drama or dramatists, Ireland or Irish people, Plays or playwrights
- Locales: France, Europe, Paris, France, Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
Despite its obvious gaps and omissions, some of which are carefully noted by the author, the first biography of that very private person Samuel Beckett is not likely to be superseded for some time. When approached, Beckett insisted that he would “neither help nor hinder” the project, adding further that he did not intend to read the book before or after publication, but he did, apparently, open doors enough to produce this massive, detailed, and readable volume. The result, as one would expect, is a study in paradox: the image of a man who, frequently paralyzed by inner...
(The entire page is 2087 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE