Also: Friar Lawrence and in some editions, Laurence
Friar Lawrence is a Franciscan monk. He lives in modest quarters suitable to someone who is a follower of St. Francis. He is a priest who is able to conduct religious ceremonies such as marriage and burial. He is also able to hear confessions and forgive sins. He serves as an adviser to Romeo and later to Juliet, and he develops several plans for the young lovers to follow. Also, he comments on the action at key points. Many of his speeches have a philosophical content to them.
When the friar first appears on stage...
(The entire page is 657 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE