Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is set in Mississippi at the height of the Great Depression; most of the action occurs between 1933 and 1934. The Logan farm, comprising four hundred acres of land, is home to the narrator Cassie, her parents, her three brothers, and her paternal grandmother. Cassie's grandfather, Paul Logan, purchased this land in two separate transactions, acquiring two hundred acres in 1886 and two hundred more in 1918. The family still owes a mortgage on the latter purchase, and the first requires tax payments. Ever since the price of cotton fell in 1930, Cassie's...
(The entire page is 181 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE