At a glance:
- Author: Mildred D. Taylor
- First Published: 1976
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Historical realism
- Time of Work: October, 1933, to August, 1934
- Setting: Rural Mississippi
- Characters: Cassie Logan, Stacey, Christopher-John, Clayton Chester (Little Man), David Logan (Papa), Mary Logan (Mama), Big Ma, Uncle Hammer, Mr. Morrison
- Genres: Long fiction, Historical fiction
- Subjects: African Americans, Family or family life, Racism, South or Southerners, Depression, economic, Friendship, 1930's, Poverty or poor people, Violence, Farms, farmers, or farming, Mississippi, Hate crimes
- Locales: United States, Mississippi, North America
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is a psychologically realistic, historically accurate picture of African American family life in rural Mississippi. It is also an excellent initiation novel about a young girl growing up to learn about the values and dangers of her Depression-era world.
The Logan family lives in Spokane County, Mississippi, on four hundred acres of land that Cassie Logan’s grandfather, a former slave, purchased years before. Harlan Granger, whose family originally owned the Logan property and who owns all the farms around it (now...
(The entire page is 2965 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
- How does David Logan show sacrificial love in the last chapter of Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry?
- In the book Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, what happens in Strawberry and how does Cassie get revenge? I need to know exactly...
- What do you think the book title, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry means?
- What is the rising action in Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry? I already have all...
- After Papa came home for Christmas, what did Mr. Morrison say happened to his family in Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry?
Test Your Knowledge