At a glance:
- Author: Henry James
- First Published: 1876
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Psychological realism
- Time of Work: 1870’s
- Setting: Primarily Rome, Italy; also Florence, Italy, and Switzerland
- Genres: Long fiction, Psychological fiction, Novel
- Subjects: Gambling, Nineteenth century, Art or artists, Marriage, Beauty, Obsession, Ethics, Italy or Italians, Sculpting or sculptors, Switzerland or Swiss people, Rome, Debtors or creditors
- Locales: Europe, United States, Florence, Italy, Rome, Italy, Italy, Switzerland, North America, Northampton, Massachusetts
Roderick Hudson, who lives with his widowed mother in Northampton, Massachusetts. He is studying in a law office, reluctantly and ineptly. He is not stupid, but he dislikes the law and has artistic aspirations; in his spare time, he produces some promising sculpture, but he has no hope of becoming an artist. He meets Rowland Mallet, a rich young man who admires Hudson’s work and offers to help him financially. Mallet takes Hudson to Rome to work as a sculptor. Hudson proves to be a very good artist with the possibility of a major...
(The entire page is 992 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE