At a glance:
- Author: Daniel Defoe
- First Published: 1719
- Type of Work: Novel
- Type of Plot: Adventure
- Time of Work: 1651-1705
- Setting: An island off the coast of South America and the Several Seas
- Genres: Long fiction, Adventure, Robinsonade, Novel
- Subjects: Values, Voyages, Nature, Religion, Friendship, God, Eighteenth century, Islands, Servants, Sea or seafaring life, Shipwrecks, Loneliness, Castaways, Separation, South America or South Americans, Cannibalism, Mutiny, Fables, Survival
- Locales: Europe, England, Islands, Brazil, Oceans, South America, United Kingdom
Robinson Crusoe, a self-sufficient Englishman who, after several adventures at sea and on land, is cast away on a small, almost uninhabited island. A practical, farsighted man of talents, he sets about making his island home comfortable, utilizing all his knowledge. His prudence and industry, aided by an imaginative insight, enable him to pass twenty-four years on the island, providing for himself in every way from the resources of the island itself and what he is able to salvage from the shipwreck that puts him in his predicament....
(The entire page is 550 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- How is individualism showed in Robinson Crusoe?
- Describe the main character in Robinson Crusoe.
- Teach me the rise of novel in 18 century English Literature with examples.and is robinson cruose a novel in thematic lvl and in...
- Discuss how Daniel Defoe achieves verisimilitude in Robinson Crusoe. Please provide two examples. If I'm...
- Describe the dream which Robinson had during his illness.
Test Your Knowledge