In the history of the United States and Canada, religion is one of the most fundamental dimensions of identity in literature. While the focus in literature has tended to shift over the centuries from overt championing of the Christian faith to various reinterpretations of it, religion has continued to be a prominent theme. The role of religion in individual and community identity can be defined in at least three major categories. The first category is prose expressions of religious faith as a foundation for daily life, including memoirs, autobiographies, devotional...
(The entire page is 4016 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE