Atlantic Monthly (essay date June 1891)
SOURCE: “New England in the Short Story.” Atlantic Monthly 67 (June 1891): 845-50.
[In the following essay, an anonymous reviewer for the Atlantic Monthly discusses short story collections by three regional authors from New England: Annie Trumbull Slosson, Mary E. Wilkins Freeman, and Sarah Orne Jewett.]
There are two periods in the life of a country when the short story is peculiarly adapted to display the characteristics of the people: the first is when the country is virgin soil for the...
(The entire page is 3317 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE