At a glance:
- Author: William Carlos Williams
- First Published: 1923
- Type of Work: Poem
- Genres: Poetry, Lyric poetry
- Subjects: Farms, farmers, or farming, Animals, Water, Light, Sun, Rain, Tools
“The Red Wheelbarrow” is perhaps one of the shortest serious poems ever published by an American poet. The structure is rigidly formal. The poem consists of four miniature stanzas of four words each.
so much dependsupona red wheelbarrowglazed with rainwater
(The entire page is 589 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE
Popular QuestionsSee all »
- What is the theme of the poem? the message the poet is trying to explain
- How is imagery used in the poem "The Red Wheelbarrow?"
- Describe how the poem, "The Red Wheelbarrow" evoke emotions of surprise.
- Discuss the poem by William Carlos Williams, "The Red Wheelbarrow." Which strategy allows you to come up with what seems the most...
- What do you think the poet is trying to say in the poem "The Red Wheelbarrow"?