- Farewell, My Lovely (Masterplots II: American Fiction Series, Revised Edition)
- Poodle Springs (Magill Book Reviews)
- Nevada Gas (Masterplots II: Short Story Series, Revised Edition)
- The Big Sleep (Masterplots, Fourth Edition)
- The Detective Novel (Critical Survey of Long Fiction, Fourth Edition)
- Theory of Short Fiction (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
- The Detective Story (Critical Survey of Short Fiction, Second Revised Edition)
- The Big Sleep (Cyclopedia of Literary Places)
- The Long Goodbye (Masterplots II: American Fiction Series, Revised Edition)
- Origins and Development of the Novel, 1890-1980 (Critical Survey of Long Fiction, Fourth Edition)
At a glance:
- Author: Raymond Chandler
Other Literary Forms
Raymond Chandler is best known for his hard-boiled detective novels featuring Philip Marlowe. Chandler often used material from his short stories to create the novels, and Philip Marlowe’s character grew out of the various detectives in the short tales. This archetypal hero has been further popularized through many major motion pictures. Chandler wrote screenplays for six works by others. His works have been selected for Book-of-the-Month Club members, and his stories and novels have been collected in a number of editions. He also wrote criticism on the...
(The entire page is 4171 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE