IntroductionWhen all is said and done, when all the pens have run dry and all the computers are unplugged, Ray Bradbury will remain literature’s favorite bogeyman. Despite an incredibly prolific career that spans countless styles, formats, and genres, Bradbury is best known for his creepier tales. Whether chronicling the spooky carnival in Something Wicked This Way Comes or the nightmarish society of Fahrenheit 451, Bradbury had a knack for tapping into very real human fears—paranoia, solitude, abandonment, death. Surprisingly, Bradbury often shrugged off his sci-fi reputation because he believed his tales, no matter how sinister, often had some basis in reality. So, yes, the monsters under your bed just might be real after all.
- Of the numerous adaptations of Ray Bradbury’s works into film and television, one of the earliest was It Came From Outer Space, a minor classic of the 1950s science-fiction genre.
- From 1985 to 1992, Bradbury hosted The Ray Bradbury Theater, a serial television show based on his short stories.
- Although mostly associated with science fiction and the macabre, Bradbury has written family-oriented material like The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit.
- Despite its box office success and the political firestorm it instigated, the film Fahrenheit 9/11 angered Bradbury because director Michael Moore appropriated the title of Bradbury’s classic Fahrenheit 451 without asking permission.
- Bradbury became a member of the now-famous Clifton Cafeteria’s Science Fiction club, which included other notable writers such as Robert Heinlein.
All Resources by Category
- Critical Survey of Short Fiction
- Fahrenheit 451 - Literary Places
- Fahrenheit 451 - Science Fiction
- Fahrenheit 451 Censorship
- Ray Bradbury - Critical Survey of Long Fiction
- Ray Bradbury Contemporary Literary Criticism (Vol. 1)
- Ray Bradbury Contemporary Literary Criticism (Vol. 15)
- Ray Bradbury Contemporary Literary Criticism (Vol. 3)
- Ray Bradbury Short Story Criticism
- Something Wicked This Way Comes - Science Fiction
- The Illustrated Man - Science Fiction
- The Martian Chronicles - Science Fiction
- The October Country - Science Fiction
- A Graveyard for Lunatics - Book Review
- Dandelion Wine - Book Review
- Fahrenheit 451 - Book Review
- Green Shadows, White Whale - Book Review
- The Martian Chronicles - Book Review
- The Toynbee Convector - Book Review
- A Graveyard for Lunatics quickNotes
- Dandelion Wine Study Guide
- Fahrenheit 451 Study Guide (eNotes)
- Quicker Than the Eye quickNotes
- Something Wicked This Way Comes - Masterplots II: American Fiction Series
- Something Wicked This Way Comes Study Guide (quickNotes)
- The Martian Chronicles - Masterplots II: American Fiction Series
- The Martian Chronicles quickNotes
- The Veldt - Masterplots II: Short Story Series
- The Veldt Study Guide
- There Will Come Soft Rains - Masterplots II: Short Story Series
- There Will Come Soft Rains Study Guide
Did this raise a question for you?