At a glance:
- Author: John Kendrick Bangs
- First Published: 1896
- Type of Work: Novels
- Type of Plot: Fantasy—mythological
- Time of Work: 1895
- Setting: Hades
- Genres: Long fiction, Fantasy, Novel
- Subjects: Mythology or myths, Nineteenth century, Rivers or waterways, Clubs, social, Pirates, Boats or boating, Rescue, Underworld or Hades
- Locales: Underworld
A House-Boat on the Styx proved to be so popular that John Kendrick Bangs quickly wrote a sequel, The Pursuit of the House-Boat. The stories concern the adventures and misadventures of the ghosts of a number of notable men and women from history, the Bible, and literature. The actions of all the characters center on a houseboat that accommodates an exclusive social club. Many people desire to become members, even going as far as stealing the boat to gain membership. The search for and recovery of the boat that follow its disappearance provide a series...
(The entire page is 1435 words.)
Want to read the whole thing?
Subscribe now to read the rest of this article. Plus, get access to:
- 30,000+ literature study guides
- Critical essays on more than 30,000 works of literature from Salem on Literature (exclusive to eNotes)
- An unparalleled literary criticism section. 40,000 full-length or excerpted essays.
- Content from leading academic publishers, all easily citable with our "Cite this page" button.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee READ MORE